The faithful gathered in what was little more than a railroad freight platform in the small town of Arcadia, in 1914.
A Mission of Immaculate Conception Parish in Monrovia, by 1918 the congregation had grown, and necessitated a move to a vacant packing house nearby. The building was purchased by Pastor Father J.J. Sheehy, of Immaculate Conception of Monrovia, for a mere $150. Unfinished inside, the building had no seating or pews, and only a modest altar. In 1930, the little Church served 150 families and was remodeled. Pews were added, the work being completed in time for Easter Services. Father Sheehy's work helped establish Arcadia's first Catholic Parish, he was
In September of 1935, his Excellency the Most Reverend John J. Cantwell, Bishop of Los Angeles, appointed a resident Pastor for the new parish named “Our Lady of Peace.”
also responsible for the purchase of the parcel of land where Holy Angels sits today.
As the years passed, the little Church that had once been merely a mission, had grown to a small parish in the now rapidly growing community of Arcadia. Early in 1935, two parcels of land located on Holly Street, just south of Huntington Drive were purchased.